One necessary element of life is language. It’s all around us every single day.
I find language truly fascinating because there are so many different systems in place all over the world!
There any many businesses that have already expanded to other countries and many that are beginning to do so. When expanding to server other countries, professional translation services are a must!
Rather than bore you with business talk, I’d like to share with you some interesting facts about language that you might not have heard before.
I hope that you leave this page having learnt something new!
- There are over 2,700 languages in the world, along with 7,000 dialects (a regional variation of language)
- On the continent of Africa, more than 1,000 languages are spoken
- The only country within Africa where the entire population speak the same language is Somalia
- The language that is most spoken in the world is Chinese Mandarin, 1.1 billion people. There are over 50,000 characters but if you know roughly 2,000 of these you should be okay to read a newspaper!
- The language that has the largest alphabet is the Cambodian language of Khmer, standing at 74 unique letters compared to the 26 we have in English
- On the other end of the scale, the Papuan language Rotokas has the shortest alphabet of 12 characters
- There are 288 different languages used within Europe
- There are also many languages that have been created for movies, books and tv shows. These are called artificial languages and more than 200 of these have been created
- An international body was created to preserve and nurture languages, called United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- 25% of languages have less than 1,000 speakers and are at risk of becoming extinct if not passed into future generations
- The longest word in the English dictionary is – pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis – a supposed lung disease – 45 letters
- The most common letter in the English language is – E. It makes up about 11% of ever word we say or write
- Swims – this is the same word if you read it upside down!
- The English language is made up of around 250,000 words
- A language called Taki Taki in Suriname has the fewest words – 340
- Basque, a language spoken in Spain is apparently the hardest to learn
Just wow, some of these facts about language are amazing aren’t they!
I really hope that you’ve learnt something new that you can impress your friends with the next time you sat round chatting.
The world really is an amazing place and there’s so many languages out there that it’s difficult to comprehend!