A kitchen renovation is a serious matter and, whether you are looking to improve your outdoor kitchen with the help of someone like https://fsbd.co, or transform the kitchen inside your home, it should be approached with careful planning and execution. If your family loves to cook and bond over food, you probably consider the kitchen as the heart of your home. Some unforgettable memories can be made with friends and family in this space. So, it is only fitting to have a kitchen that can be practical and functional, yet aesthetically pleasing.
While most of us have dream designs for our kitchens, the major factor that would affect our decisions is our budget. As such, we’ve put together this guide to provide you with kitchen remodelling ideas suitable for different budgets.
Low-Cost Kitchen Remodel
If you want to update your kitchen yet you still want to spend as little as possible, you have to focus on updating what you already have while still achieving a significant impact. Keep in mind that you should only replace what is necessary. For example, if your appliances are still properly functioning, you shouldn’t replace them.
The same is true with your cabinets. Instead of purchasing and installing new cabinetry, you can sand down your existing set and re-stain it. You can also paint it or update the hardware to give it a new look. You can create a major visual impact without burning a hole in your pocket.
If your flooring is worn out, a low-cost solution would be to use laminate or vinyl as a replacement. These days, vinyl flooring options are available in stylish designs and colours. Some of them even look like real wood.
Mid-Range Kitchen Remodel
Perhaps, you do not have the budget to give your kitchen a major makeover. However, you can still afford to make a few big changes. In this case, you can opt for a mid-range remodel to bring your kitchen space into the 21st century.
This should let you splurge on custom features in specific areas while focusing on saving money by utilising standard materials for most projects. For instance, you might want to install standard cabinets yet add an extra ‘wow’ factor by using granite kitchen benchtops. Perhaps, you might want to opt for basic cabinetry and flooring and yet draw attention to your stunning backsplash.
You can successfully execute a mid-range kitchen remodel by carefully studying where you should spend your money and where to cut back. You should ask yourself what aspects would not be as important as features that should stand out. In general, if you are aiming for return on investment, you should spend more on visible items while saving on unnoticeable things. It is also worth noting that your kitchen should have a design that is cohesive with the rest of the house. So, if you have a heritage or traditional house, you wouldn’t get much value on an ultra-modern kitchen.
Some important reminders:
- It is always good to invest on appliances, but make sure to spend more on cook stoves because they tend to have a longer lifespan. Generally, stainless steel is a good option, especially when you want to resell soon.
- Kitchen benchtops are often the focal point of the space. They can also enhance standard cabinets. If your budget permits, opt for granite natural stone. Since it is durable and long-lasting, it can be a solid investment for your kitchen.
- The cabinetry is one of the important components of a mid-range kitchen remodel. However, it is essential to focus more on functionality than style if you are aiming for a good ROI. It is important to have soft-close doors and drawers. On the other hand, you can still enhance the functionality of your cabinets by having drawers in the base.
- Another essential part of a mid-range remodel is the flooring. You do not have to go all out on this. In terms of durability and style, you can get the best value for your money by opting for tiles.
- A good backsplash is a must on this project, but you do not have to go for something too luxurious. Ceramic tiles can be both practical and beautiful when used as a backsplash.
High-End Kitchen Remodel
If you’ve always wanted to get custom cabinetry or commercial appliances for your dream kitchen, go for it as long as you have the funds to do so. With a high-end kitchen remodel, you have to get ready to spend a lot of money. On the other hand, you are sure to see breathtaking results.
What identifies high-end kitchen remodels are everything custom-made. This type of update requires luxury appliances, professional labour and customised products. To achieve great results, you would have to spend a nice little fortune. Depending on the size of your kitchen and your location, you can expect a grand total of more than 50,000AUD. Moreover, if you get everything in your wish list, you might even spend double that price.
On the other hand, the cost of high-end kitchen remodels still varies. Nonetheless, with the right choices, you can expect to see about 60% ROI. However, it is still important to note that upscale kitchen remodels are all about designing a space that the homeowner will love. Enhancing the resale value is rarely the focus.
Benefits of a Kitchen Remodel
Regardless of the amount you spend, a kitchen remodel brings several benefits. That said, here are some of the things you can enjoy if you decide to take on this project:
- An aesthetically pleasing kitchen – Whether you’re updating your kitchen benchtops or re-staining your existing cabinetry, a remodel truly makes the space more visually appealing.
- Better functionality in the kitchen – You can make traffic flow smoothly by improving the layout of your kitchen. Updating kitchen appliances or lighting fixtures are also great options for enhancing the functionality of the room.
- Have convenient storage – There are various resourceful and creative ways to add storage for your kitchen. Updating the cabinets can give you more space for storing food, kitchenware or supplies.
- A higher value for your home – As we’ve mentioned, a kitchen remodel can recoup around 60% of what you spent. There are short-term benefits like improved functionality and safety in the kitchen. However, the long-term advantages are definitely what make a remodel worth every penny.