Teaching your children to be respectful is really important, both at home and at school.
In order for your child to succeed academically and develop important social skills, they must understand how to respectboth their classmates and their teachers.
To help your child understand why they should always demonstrate respectful behaviour towards their teachers, Falcons Pre-Preparatory School for Boys has put together this great advice…
- Start off by teaching your children the difference between respectful and disrespectful behaviour. For example, talking in class while the teacher is talking is considered disrespectful; however putting your hand up and waiting for the teacher to answer your question is respectful.
- It is important to be a good role model for your child and demonstrate respectful behaviour, both in public and at home.
- Stress to your child that at school they should always listen to the teacher and be kind and helpful to others. Teach your children to value other people’s ideas and opinions and treat others as they wish to be treated themselves.
- If your child’s school has created a list of their values, it is a good idea to print this off for your child to read. Discuss each one with your child and ensure that they understand why these are important. The majority of schools create a set of core values to ensure that all students and staff are safe, happy and united as a team.
- Finally you should encourage your children to value their own learning and success. This is one of the best ways to show their respect towards teachers for the hard work they do. They can demonstrate this by being on time to school, working to the best of their ability, completing homework and giving positive feedback to their teachers when they have enjoyed a lesson.