As the warmth of summer begins to fade, the days become shorter, and temperatures start dropping, the scent of autumn is in the air. The chill in the early evening air means the time is approaching for getting the heating on and you can always also make use of a lovely woolly jumper, a cosy throw, a chunky blanket or setting the mood with some candlelight. When it comes to setting the scene and creating a comfortable home, it doesn’t have to be anything fancy or expensive.
Local Heroes has long been dedicated to matching skilled and vetted local tradesmen to customers who need jobs done around their home and this Autumn they’ve launched a campaign to make sure everyone is prepared for the incoming cosy nights! So in this article, we share five simple tips to turn your home into the cosy hideaway you can escape to at the end of the day, along with some super important boiler care tips!
Let’s get into it then, here’s 5 ways that my wife and I like to create a cosy atmosphere at home. I’m hoping this will provide you with some inspiration!
- Chunky knits – introduce a layer of luxury and sophistication to your living room by adding a trendy oversized knitted chunky blanket or throw to your sofa. Make evening family time that little extra special as you sink into or under that warm throw.
- Autumnal bloom bedding – a bedroom is a special place, your refuge from the world and somewhere you go for some peace and quiet. As the season turns and away goes the summer bedding, it’s the perfect time to make some changes and pick large floral patterns for your bedroom. Transform the look and feel of your bedroom with this simple addition.
- Firepit and fairy lights – Autumn is like the no man’s land of the seasons. It’s not cold just yet, and it’s not warm anymore either. Spending time squeezing the last juice out of the summer sunshine feels a little chilly, too. You can still enjoy the autumn evenings outdoors with a firepit for the warmth and fairy lights for the atmosphere.
- Bring the scent of autumn home – welcome the new season into your home by turning to the old age traditions of fragrance. Pumpkin, cedarwood and amber are rich warming scents that usher in the spirit of the season and will transform your space. If you’re lucky enough to have a fire, then sit back and enjoy the aroma of the crackling fire.
- Accessorise – pick the right accessories for your home, and you won’t wait to kick your shoes off every evening. From scatter cushions on the sofas to deep-pile rugs you can’t take your feet off of, add personal possessions to make your home even cosier.
Now that you know how to add the cosy atmosphere to your home, there’s one particular aspect to keep in mind. Keeping your home warm and cosy will take more than chunky knits and autumnal bloom bedding. You need your boiler firing on all cylinders, too.
Getting Your Boiler Autumn Ready
The number one mistake most people make when it comes to looking after their boiler is believing that it will run forever. Of course, modern boilers are super reliable, but just like any machine, they do need a little bit of TLC. Next, let’s talk about how to keep your boiler in shape.
- Check your boiler pressure since you’ve had your heating off for the summer and make sure it’s around 1.5 bar. If the pressure is low, you can repressurise the system by following the instructions on this boiler advice page.
- Bleed your radiators to make sure they deliver maximum heat when you need it. You’ll know your radiators need bleeding if the bottom is hot and the top remains cold when the heating is on.
- Ensure your condensate pipe is insulated to prevent freezing when the temperature plummets.
- Bad smell coming from your boiler? If your boiler is not burning the gas properly, it may be creating carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas. Turn the heating off and get a professional gas engineer to come and have a look.
Boiler Seen Better Days?
What happens if your boiler is old and you just can’t get it to work correctly. Sometimes it becomes expensive to maintain an older boiler. It keeps breaking down, and it seems like the repairman is always coming round. If that’s your situation, perhaps it’s time to shop around for a more efficient boiler.
A new boiler will save you paying gas bills through your nose because they are more efficient. The boiler won’t break down as often, and the only time a repairman will come calling is for an annual service.
Ready To Get Cosy?
Now that autumn is here, and winter will soon follow, it’s time to inject that warm and cosy feeling into your home. Whether you’re the woolly jumper type or the hide under a duvet type. Perhaps you’re the hot water bottle and blanket type. Whatever your favourite way to get warm and cosy this autumn, this article shows you five more ways.
And while you’re pimping up your garden with fairy lights or choosing that autumnal deep-pile rug, don’t forget to schedule a boiler service. Because we know just like every other machine, it breaks down when you need it the most. Don’t let a boiler breakdown ruin your cosy winter feels, get in touch Local Heroes today.
This post is in conjunction with Local Heroes, but all thoughts are my own