How much do you enjoy a cool breeze on a hot day? There’s not much of that inside a home or office and the heat can get too much even for those who love the warm days. You might also be wondering how to stay cool at night during those extremely hot nights.
An awesome solution is buying a portative evaporative device. Also known under the name swamp cooler, it effectively produces chilled air thanks to an integrated fan and wet pads. It doesn’t just blow air around but decreases the temperature in the area surrounding a gadget, providing you with a refreshing atmosphere.
Evaporative coolers are classified according to the size and area a gadget is meant to supply with cool air. They are outdoor, personal or living space evaporative coolers.
Varying cooling speeds. Do you prefer cool air blown faster or slower? You can control the frequency with which the fan rotates.
Air filtration. They are capable of purifying the air from dirt and pollen. Some versions have an inbuilt filter made from carbon or fiber.
Timer. You are able to set the times when it should turn on or off using the timer feature.
Remote control. You can change the cooler’s settings without walking to it. You can do it at a distance with the help of a mobile app or a handheld remote.
Pros of Evaporative Coolers
They go easy on your energy bills.
They expended ten times less energy than mini-split AC units and even less than central AC. They only need around 40 watts per hour to power a fan.
They effectively reduce the temperature of the surrounding air.
The wind produced by an inbuilt fan vaporizes the water which causes a difference in temperature.
Simple construction makes them easy to clean.
The general recommendation is to clean the water container and pads monthly. You can simply use soap and lukewarm water. Also, manufacturers advise cleaning and replacing additional filters regularly.
High-quality devices are eco- and health-friendly.
Evaporative coolers don’t use any hazardous elements to produce a cool breeze as long as you use clean water.
They humidify the air.
The optimal humidity inside a house ranges from 30% to 50%. An evaporative cooler helps you keep your indoor humidity within that range and prevent dehydration symptoms that affect your eyes, skin, and can induce the feeling of thirst.
They don’t use tricks to work effectively.
The internet is awash with tutorials on how to make an electric fan work better but it’s all a hassle and can be a health hazard since a lot of the tips involve water. Evaporative coolers work well without all that extra work.
Unlike portable ACs, you don’t need any accessories and access to windows for it to work. You can even keep your window open for fresh air or close it to cut off the heat since your swamp cooler can work anywhere, Some have inbuilt batteries which means they can work anywhere.
Cons of Evaporative Cooler
As you might have gathered, these gadgets aren’t the best if you live in very areas where humidity is constantly well over 50% humidity. Another issue is that some people might find it a bit costly as an initial investment. However, considering their effectiveness and a promise of lower utility bills in the future, buying a swamp cooler pays off.
Why Choose an Evaporative Cooler Over Any Other Device?
If you live in a dry climate and still not convinced that a swamp cooler is a viable option for you, here are more reasons to invest in a good evaporative device.
- It doesn’t require installation. It helps keep screws and nails off your wall since you don’t need to install it. There are hand-held versions and standalone ones on wheels.
- It’s mobile. Not all models are lightweight but bigger options have wheels and there are compact, hand-held models that can be easily transferred to any place. You can also travel with almost any model by car or campervan to a picnic or campsite.
- It’s less expensive compared to a wall-mounted AC. A swamp cooler costs between $100 and $300, which is also a tenth of the sum you’d need to pay for installing an AC.
- It is cost-efficient. If you stay in a spacious house with a few habitable rooms, then a swamp cooler is your ideal gadget. It is also ideal for people living in a very small room. Or when summers are short-lived in your area. In all these incidences, it is cheaper to get a swamp cooler instead of a costly wall-mounted AC.
- When your landlord prohibits installing traditional AC. Since most people are renting, they must work within the confines of a binding contract. Most landlords don’t want tenants tampering with their walls, therefore installing a conventional swamp cooler is not an option. A portable one is the best option.
With the invention of portable swamp coolers, your summer days and nights can be bliss. Also, there is a wealth of info to read about the best portable air coolers so you can choose the right one for you, including user reviews. Moreover, a swamp cooler effectively cools temperature, is easy to move around easily and is cost-effective.